About: Ice Cream Alley is a local, independently owned ice cream scoop shop in downtown Greenfield. Operating from April through October, we serve a curated selection of flavors from a variety of high-quality local producers as well as interesting sundaes. We are committed to the local community and strive to treat our workers well, activate downtown Greenfield as a social space, and bring a little magic into our neighbors’ lives.
Title: Shop Manager
Rate of Pay: $18/hr for administrative tasks; $14/hr plus tips for regular shifts scooping in the shop.
Dates: April 1 – October 10
Job Structure: The manager can expect 5-10 hours per week of general administrative work (described below), much but not all of which can be completed remotely. Additionally, the manager is required to work at least two regular shifts in the shop, and may choose to work more shifts as desired.
Benefits: This is an unbenefitted seasonal position.
Profit Sharing: In addition to the base salary, a manager who completes an entire season in the position will receive the following end-of-season bonuses:
- Sales bonus: The manager shall receive a bonus for increasing the average per-item price as compared to the 2019 season. This increase will most likely result from motivated, well-trained employees selling larger sizes, more toppings, and more special sundaes, as well as a well-designed menu board. The bonus will equal $10 for every cent that the average item sale increases.
- Online review bonus: For each new positive (4-star +) review on Google, Yelp, or TripAdvisor, the manager shall receive a $5 bonus at the end of the season (maximum bonus of $500). Any negative reviews (3 stars or under) will be subtracted from the number of positive reviews.
- Scooping bonus: Like other employees, the manager is eligible for a $0.50/hr season completion bonus for each hour spent scooping (at the $14/hr rate).
Purpose: The manager carries out the shared vision of the business as articulated in the operations manual and is accountable to the owners for faithfully executing that vision. Within those confines, the manager has broad autonomy in the day-to-day operation of the shop, including curating the menu and developing new offerings.
Reports to: Ownership group
Duties as Manager:
- Provides direct customer service, acting as both the face of the business and a model for other employees
- Holds employees accountable to standards of service, quality control, and cleanliness set by the owners
- Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises a team of 4-6 employees
- Manages finances, bank deposits, and employee timecards
- Keeps meticulous records of orders, invoices, deposits, etc.
- Communicates with employees using a web-based platform
- Disciplines employees when appropriate, in collaboration with the owners
- Ensures that the space is immaculately clean and inviting for customers
- Ensures that the space and operation are compliant with health codes at all times
- Manages social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram)
- Communicates with vendors and maintains business relationships
- Brings issues and ideas for improvement to the owners as they develop
- Assists in implementing the business’s marketing plan
- Reviews sales numbers regularly along with the owners, and reports back to the group on status relative to financial benchmarks
- Orders supplies, receives deliveries, and stocks the shop
- Updates and maintains shop operations manual
- Serves as the first line of emergency coverage for employees who call in sick (emergency coverage is compensated at time and a half)
- Works at least 2 regular shifts per week in the shop, and may schedule additional shifts as desired
- Other administrative tasks as assigned
- Associate’s degree or equivalent (please describe equivalency in cover letter)
- At least three years of experience in a customer service field
- One year of experience in a food service setting
- At least one year of supervisory experience (preferably in food service)
- Experience training employees and holding them accountable to standards
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Communicate verbally and in writing
- Solve problems and generate creative ideas
- Plan and manage time
- Work as a member of a diverse team
- A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle (standard mileage rate provided for any on-the-job driving)
- Background in food allergy safety
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (please describe equivalency in cover letter)
- Servsafe or ServSafe Manager certification
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Tim Dolan at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on February 29th, and continue until the position is filled.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and people from all backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.